Major IRS Milestone Helps taxpayers Correct Tax Returns With Fewer Errors, Speeds Processing…
Making the 1040-X an electronically filed form has been a goal for the tax software and tax professional industry for years. The addition helps taxpayers have a quicker, easier way to file amended or corrected returns, and it streamlines work for the IRS and the entire tax community. IRS Techs and business operation teams worked hard with the nation’s tax industry to make this change possible.
- Currently, taxpayers must complete and mail a Form 1040-X to the IRS for processing amendments & corrections.
- The new electronic option allows the IRS to receive amended electronic returns faster
- Minimizes errors normally associated with manually completing the form.
- The tax-filing software allows users to input their data in a question-answer format.
- It also makes it easier for IRS employees to answer taxpayer questions since the data is entered electronically and submitted to the agency almost simultaneously.
- Non-resident Alien 1040 NR tax returns still need to be mailed.
About 3 million 1040-X are filed by taxpayers each year. Adding the 1040-X to the e-filing portfolio provides a better experience for the taxpayer all around. It makes submitting an amended return easier and it allows IRS to process it in a more efficient way.
For the initial phase, only tax year 2019 Forms 1040 and 1040-SR returns can be amended electronically. Additional improvements are planned for the future.
Taxpayers still have the option to submit a paper version of the Form 1040-X and should follow the instructions for preparing and submitting the paper form. If you need help filing an amended tax return, please call us at (855) 205-8486.
Those filing their Form 1040-X electronically and on paper can use the “Where’s My Amended Return?” online tool to check the status of their amended return.