Claiming the Other Dependent Tax Credit – Did You Know?
16 NOV 2019

Posted by robbie Categories: BLOG Comments: Post closed for comments

Claiming the Other Dependent Tax Credit – Did You Know? If you have a dependent who does not meet the criteria for the Child Tax Credit (CTC), you may still qualify for a $500 credit called the Other Dependent Credit. Also called the Family Tax Credit, this nonrefundable credit was created under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) of 2017. Examples of qualifying dependents include children of age 17 or 18 (or up to age 23 if they are full-time students), and adult relatives who are unable to support themselves due to a disability. Your claimed dependents must be US citizens, resident aliens, or nationals, and must have a taxpayer ID number (SSN or ITIN). Children must not have been claimed for the CTC by you or anyone else, must rely on you for at least half of their financial support, and generally must live with you for over half the year. Claimed adult dependents (called “qualifying relatives” by the IRS) must have a gross income of less than $4,200 for 2019, and must either be your true relative or live with you full time. The term “true relative” covers a broad range of relationships, including in-laws and stepchildren. A qualified tax advisor can help you determine your eligibility for the Other Dependent Credit. If you have more than one qualifying dependent, you may be able to take the credit for each of them. We would like to invite you to visit our Business Facebook Page at