Missing or Incorrect W-2s or 1099s – Did You Know?

When the time comes to get your taxes filed, it can be frustrating to discover that you have not received the documents you need to complete your return. This problem occurs most often with Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement for employees) or the various versions of Form 1099 (for earnings as an independent contractor, pension or IRA distributions, etc.).

If you have not received an anticipated W-2 or 1099, you should first contact the employer or payer to request the missing document. The same applies if a form you received contains incorrect information.

If you have received an incorrect Form 1099-G for unemployment compensation from your state employment office, contact the agency immediately. An incorrect form may indicate that a scammer collected unemployment benefits using your Social Security Number (SSN).