Quarterly Estimated Tax Payments
- If you are making quarterly estimated tax payments to the IRS, the due date for the September 1st – December 31st, 2021 quarter of year is January 18th, 2022.
- You may be able to skip the January 18th payment if you file your 2021 return by January 31st, 2022 and pay all tax due.
- For payments made using IRS Direct Pay, you can make payments until 11:45PM EST, and for payments using a credit or debit card, payments can be made up to midnight on the due date.
Business Return E-file
- The IRS began accepting and processing business returns on January 7.
Forms in Process
- While the majority of forms and schedules are available, some have not been finalized by the IRS or are still in the testing process.
Tax Season Begins January 24
- The IRS will begin accepting and processing returns Monday, January 24, 2022.
- Returns sent before this date are being held in a queue and will be transmitted to the IRS as soon as the IRS is ready to process.
- When the IRS starts processing returns, acknowledgments may be unpredictable due to the high volume of returns being processed.
IRS Letters 6419 and 6475
- The Internal Revenue Service announced on 12/22/2021 that it will issue information letters to Advance Child Tax Credit recipients starting in December (Letter 6419),
- To recipients of the third round of the Economic Impact Payments at the end of January (Letter 6475).
- Using this information when preparing a tax return can reduce errors and delays in processing. For more information, see the IRS New Release page here.